Lemon Thyme Cornbread has been in my own personal recipe box for years. It's a family favorite that I always serve around Thanksgiving. This cornbread is tender with just the right amount of crumb. It's a hard balance to strike, but years of practice has perfected this one!
PIN THIS recipe to read later!
Cornbread can be crumbly and a little dry in texture, or it can be very soft with only a hint of corn flavor. Lemon Thyme Cornbread sits the line between them. The bread does not fall apart completely, but it has a bit of crumble. The cornbread is soft yet it still has full corn flavor. And with the citrusy bite of lemon and herbaceous thyme, this recipe is always devoured at my house with no leftovers to be seen.
I like to serve it with roasted meat or even a bowl of chili. It's especially delicious with a pat of margarine melting on top and a drizzle of honey to bring out the sweetness in the corn. A very tasty treat.
Some tips, be sure to add the ingredients in the order below to achieve that perfect texture. Lemon Thyme Cornbread can be made in advance and frozen. Allow it to defrost at room temperature. You can store the cornbread at room temperature 3-4 days or in the refrigerator for a week.
Things you'll Need: 8x8 baking dish (#sponsored)
Happy Cooking! Be sure to comment. I’d love to see your pictures, answer your questions and hear your experiences. If you like my content, please subscribe and follow us on Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube. Don't forget to click that Yum Button! See all our recipes on your Yummly app.
*Originally published in the November 2019 Newsletter*
Lemon Thyme Cornbread
- 8x8 Baking Dish
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 3/4 Cups Milk or Non-dairy Milk
- 1/4 Cups Lemon Juice
- 1 Egg
- 1 Cup Cornmeal
- 1/2 Cups Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 teaspoons Cream of Tartar
- 1/4 teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Thyme
- 1 Cup Flour
- Preheat oven to 375. Lightly grease an 8x8 baking pan. Assemble your ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl, add Olive Oil, Milk, Lemon Juice and Egg. Whisk to combine.
- Add Cornmeal, Sugar, Baking Soda, Cream of Tartar, Kosher Salt and Thyme. Whisk to combine.
- Add Flour and fold it in until evenly mixed.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes. It is normal for the top to crack. Cornbread is done when a gentle press on the center does not make an indent.