Rich, Creamy homemade Authentic Butterscotch Pudding is my husband’s all-time favorite dessert.
PIN THIS recipe to read later!
It was the first food he ever asked for when we got married and realized just how into cooking I was. He said, “do you think you could make a butterscotch pudding?” I’m like “of course!” I immediately began researching what makes something “butterscotch”. It turns out that butterscotch isn’t a ‘thing’ itself. What we know of as butterscotch flavor is based on a rich, buttery caramel spiked with scotch.
So, the base for this pudding is a rich brown sugar caramel, cut with whole milk. To make it an Authentic Butterscotch Pudding, I then whisk in either scotch, bourbon or rum, vanilla, and loads of butter.
It is very important not to skip the straining step of this recipe. Because of the “quick” way that the eggs are tempered in this recipe (as compared to vanilla pastry cream), you will end up with a bit of clumping. Strain the pudding while it’s hot and the result is perfect silky smooth pudding.
Authentic Butterscotch Pudding is naturally gluten-free. Believe it or not, this dessert is also very easy to make dairy-free. Substitute the milk with a fatty nut milk: I use macadamia nut milk. Then substitute the butter with vegan butter. I have made it this way many times as well with great success.
To recreate the picture, top off your Authentic Butterscotch Pudding with whipped cream and chopped candied pecans.
You can find everything I used to make this recipe over at my influencer store: www.amazon.com/shop/candidlydeliciousbytamar
Happy Cooking! Be sure to comment. I’d love to see your pictures, answer your questions and hear your experiences. If you like my content, please subscribe and follow us on Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube. Don't forget to click that Yum Button! See all our recipes on your Yummly app.
Authentic Butterscotch Pudding
- Mesh Strainer or Sieve
- 2-qt Sauce Pan
- Candy Thermometer
- 1-1/2 Cups Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/4 Cups Water
- 7 Yolks
- 1/2 Cups Cornstarch
- 3 Cups Whole Milk
- 5 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Scotch, Rum or Bourbon
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- In a sturdy 2-qt saucepan, add Brown Sugar, Kosher Salt, and Water. Whisk to combine. Place over medium-high heat. Insert a candy thermometer. Do not stir or disturb.
- Meanwhile in a large mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks and cornstarch until combined.
- When the sugar mixture reaches about 235-240 degrees, pour in the Milk and whisk to combine. Reduce heat to medium.
- Once the sugar mixture has come to a boil, remove the pan from heat. Begin tempering the eggs. The way this is done: pour a small amount of the hot milk into the egg mixture while whisking rapidly. Then whisk in a little more. Continue adding the milk mixture slowly while whisking until the entire milk mixture is combined with the eggs.
- Immediately pour the entire mixture back into the saucepan and put it back on the stove at medium heat. Whisk constantly until the pudding has thickened.
- Turn off the heat. Add the Butter, Whiskey, and Vanilla Extract. Whisk until combined. Work the pudding through a mesh strainer or sieve while it’s still hot. Use the back of a spoon to push the pudding through the mesh, leaving only the solid bits behind. Cool the entire pudding in the refrigerator until serving.