Facon-wrapped Chicken with Couscous
This is not your average wrapped chicken. Facon-wrapped Chicken with couscous is a tender, juicy chicken cutlet stuffed with spiced apples and onions and wrapped up in beef fry served with a side of earthy couscous. This is a hearty dinner that can be ready in about 45 minutes.
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes Serves: 4
- 2 TBS Oil
- ½ Onion, diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Apple, diced
- ¼ tsp Kosher Salt
- Pinch Black Pepper
- ½ tsp Smoked Paprika
- ¼ tsp Cloves
- 4 Chicken Cutlets, butterflied
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- 1 package Facon (AKA beef fry or beef bacon)
- 1 Cup Dry Israeli Couscous (AKA Pearl Couscous)
- 1-¾ Cup Water
- 1 TBS Oil
- 1 tsp Caraway Seeds
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Kosher Salt
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- 2 TBS Stone Ground Mustard
- 1 TBS Lemon Juice
- Preheat your oven to 375. Line a 9×13 pan with parchment.
- Heat oil in a skillet on Medium heat.
- Add remaining stuffing ingredients, combine until evenly coated with oil and spices.
- Saute, stirring periodically, until apples and onions start to soften. Set Aside.
- For each cutlet, sprinkle both sides with Kosher Salt and Black Pepper.
- Lay the cutlet spread out, with the inside facing up. Place ¼ cup of the stuffing in the center and close the chicken.
- Wrap the breast with 2 pieces of Facon, and seal with a toothpick.
- Do all of the steps for each cutlet. Then place the chicken into the oven for approximately 25 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165.
- While the chicken is cooking begin your couscous. Put all couscous ingredients into a sauce pan on high heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to Medium, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until liquid no longer bubbles up to the surface.
- Remove from heat, but keep the lid on and let sit for 5 more minutes.
- While the couscous is resting, prepare the sauce.
- Combine all sauce ingredients into a bowl and whisk until emulsified (meaning one consistent texture with no separated spots of oil).
- After the five minutes, fluff the couscous then add the sauce and stir. The couscous will absorb most of the sauce creating a flavorful pasta dish.
- Serve the chicken with the couscous and enjoy!
Facon-wrapped chicken has multiple textures, the crisp beef bacon, the tender chicken and the creamy couscous, to please the palate and keep you coming back bite after bite. Cook and comment. I’d love to see your pictures, answer your questions and hear your experiences. If you like my content, please subscribe and follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest.